Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Natural Childbirth


When my husband and I found out we were pregnant we were so excited.  We started thinking of names and picking out nursery colors, all the typical things a couple who is pregnant probably do.  One of the things that I really wanted to do was natural childbirth.
So, one of my friends told me about a book called "Husband Coached Childbirth". If natural childbirth is what you want this is a must read.  Who ever you decide to have as your child birthing partner should read this book with you.  It will change your perspective on childbirth.

As the due date for our son Levon approached us we read this book together every night.  I prayed for strength to go through labor naturally and to not kill my husband in the process :).  One morning we woke up and the moment we had so anxiously anticipated for so long was here.  We arrived at the hospital, they put us in our room and the child birth journey began.  I had been having contractions for about 2 days, but these were much stronger.  With every passing hour they became stronger and stronger.  As my labor became more and more painful I became more and more determined to do it with no drugs at all.  After a long "drug free" labor the time came for me to push.  With every contraction came words of encouragement from my husband "You can do it babe, you are doing an amazing job."
As I pushed and pushed for what seemed like an eternity out came this little bitty person.  I thought to myself "I cant believe that was inside me."  As my husband handed him to me It was the most comforting feeling in the world to hold my son.

After the birth was over my husband and I toasted our son with a cold glass of orange juice and gave each other a kiss.  The nurse came and told us our room was ready so I walked down the hall to our room got settled and was ready to see our son again.  He had to stay in the nursery for about 4 hours after being born for observation. So Ryan wheeled me down to the nursery to see our sweet little boy.  The nurse handed him to me and I was so happy.  I looked at my husband smiled and said "here you hold him. "  Then after handing him to Ryan the strangest feeling came over me. I began getting a little light headed so I called for the nurse to come over. She no more than stood in front of me and "bam" I passed out right there in her cleavage :).  Thats right I took a few moments to take a nap in the comfort of my nurse's cleavage.  I woke up realized what had happened and had a pretty good laugh.

Click on the book below for more information on natural child birth and to buy the book.



Thanks for reading!!!!

6 comments:

Desiree said...

Girl you are AMAZING! Loved reading your birth story...even though I've heard it before! You are so strong!!!

HandyMother said...

Thanks so much that means alot!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were able to "give birth the way nature intended". I wish I was that lucky, due to medical complications I needed a c-section. The topics of your blog are really nice, most of which I completely agree with, however you come across "holy than thou" if you took that aspect out, I think you would have an even greater blog.

HandyMother said...

Thank you for reading. I appreciate your feedback. I am new to having a blog so your feedback is very important to me. If you dont care to let me know how I come across "holy than thou" that would be helpful. That is certainly not my intention at all. I just enjoy writing about stuff I am excited about. I apologize for coming across the wrong way. I am sorry you were not able to give birth the way you wanted to. And, I apologize if I have offended you in any way.

Anonymous said...

Loved your story, and it is an inspiration to expectant Mothers. Would love to have read your story before I had my baby.

HandyMother said...

Thanks so much. It really means a lot.

Mother Nurture

The best store for a mom to shop at! I LOVE IT!!